Since the configuration for the new VM created from the snapshot will have an identical configuration you will want to create it in a different zone.
Important note* The original EC2 instance will be turned off during this process
First steps for existing VM:
– Locate the availability zone
– Locate the security group
– Take note of these two attributes
Create a snapshot to make a new AMI:
– Right click on the EC2 instance
– Select Create Image
– Create image window opens.
– Fill in the details
– Click the Create This Image button
The original EC2 instance will be turned off during this process, the EBS volume is copied to a snapshot, and the EC2 is spun back up
– Hit refresh, you may see some errors about reliability checks if you have monitoring enabled, just ignore these
– goto AMIs under ‘IMAGES’
You should then see your unique AMI image in the list
Now, to launch a new instance from this image!
You can now use this copy of the AMI template and spin up a new shiny VM.
– Simply click the Launch button
– A wizard appears
– Follow the wizard
– This is an important step, you will need to change the availability zone to somewhere away from the original instance
– Modify the credentials, security group, etc as you would any other instance (customized to your environment or likings)
After this, you can simply Launch! Wash, rinse, repeat as desired.